We had a great weekend despite the rain, snow, and camper leakage, all of which I will go into later in the post! I will start out by saying that the reason for our trip was to see one of our favorite bands, Mumford and Sons, play at the Telluride Bluegrass festival. Since we were headed to the western slope (that what we call the western side of the mountains) we decided that we could get a few other things in on the trip too. We have been wanting to go to the Montrose/Grand Junction area to visit the wineries, so that is how we started our trip.
This is Hannah about halfway into the trip with what I like to call her "chili cheese frito face." The kid loves chili cheese fritos and seriously ate them by the hand fulls. She kept saying, "more! more peas!" I guess that a part of the reason is because we don't usually keep stuff like that around the house and use camping/road trips as an excuse to indulge. Now keep in mind though, this cannot be your plain ole' frito like a normal person...no, chili cheese are the only ones that will do! She gets that from her Dad because I can barely stand the smell of those things!
We were originally going to stay the first night in Montrose, but changed our minds at the last minute. We had plans to visit some family friends in Grand Junction, so we just went there instead...got to take I-70 which is a beautiful drive through the heart of the Rocky Mountains, and got to see the "stripe-id" mountains as we approached western Colorado. The Colorado river flows through there and it was amazingly full. The crazy rapids and waves kept us all occupied for most of the trip! We stayed at a hotel that night. When we arrived, Hannah rushed over to the fountain that was outside of the hotel.
She loves water and fountains and sinks and basically anything that can be played in, so it was no surprise that she sat right down to play in the fountain every time we were outside!We closed the dark blinds and slept in as late as Hannah would allow us to, which was about 8:30 or 9:00. Then we headed out in search of breakfast and good strong coffee before hitting the wineries. One thing that I love about Grand Junction is that EVERYTHING seems to grow there! They have cherries, apricots, peaches, grapes, asparagus...you name it and it probably grows. Being that the ground is so fertile, flowers also grow amazingly well there. There were roses everywhere and I LOVE to "stop and smell the roses" whenever an opportunity presents itself. I sniffed away at many flowers over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the colors!
So much so that I could not get her to turn around for a picture! I had to give her a little swing just to get her to smile for the camera for two seconds!
This is Mt. Wilson. One of Jon's bosses told Jon that this is the most photographed mountain in Colorado. He told him to just look for the fence and then you will know...and now we know. Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! Jon did a really great job taking the picture too! I am thinking about getting a print of that for somewhere in our house! The mountains were covered in Aspens unlike any other mountains I have seen and as a special bonus, the wildflowers were in full bloom!
This is the view from the top...amazing! We were at the Bluegrass festival specifically to see Mumford and Sons, although we really enjoyed several of the other performers. The sun came out for a while and it was fabulous! After a couple of hours of sun, a fierce wind started blowing...a wind like the wind that happens at the beginning of a cold front...we didn't really think about it, although we knew that we were not prepared for the rain or cold. This was our first time to go to the festival and it was also our first time in Telluride. We didn't know how much stuff we could bring in, so we opted for less instead of more. That was a big mistake! It got cold and then started raining. We can handle a little rain, so we were in good spirits still. Jon even ran into someone he knew. We talked with them a while, drank some hot chocolate and hoped that the rain would stop. It didn't...it got worse!
It began pouring down rain! This all started around five-ish, and Mumford and Sons wasn't even going to start playing until 7:30! A guy in front of us offered us, crazy, short wearing people, with a small kid, his umbrella. We had picked up some beach chairs on our way back to the festival after dinner, so we were sitting in those, while trying to stay dry with the use of our super generous neighbor's umbrella! We waited...and it rained...and we waited some more. Hannah fell asleep for a while, so we waited a little more...and finally, when it started snowing, we decided that we could not wait any longer. We stayed until about 7:00, but we just couldn't stand to wait any more...we decided that we could catch Mumford and Sons the next time they are around...probably this time next year at the latest...and we packed up, gave the umbrella back, and headed back to our car. Fortunately the local radio station was running a live broadcast of the festival music, so listened to the whole concert from our car...while it the snow/rain mix continued to fall...I kept thinking that at any moment the clouds would break and the sun would peek through...it finally did about five minutes before Mumford and Sons finished their set. And this is what we saw as the sun was setting...snow! And lots of it! It poured down snow in the mountains surrounding us...there was definitately no rain mixed in with that stuff! The mountains were white...and so beautiful. Despite how gorgeous it was, I can now say that I have seen snow in June and do not ever care to see it again!
When we got to our car it was 37 degrees out with this rain/snow mix falling! I am pretty sure that I was a lot happier to be listening in our car than to be listening at the festival. I have never been SO cold...cold and wet through and through is a bad combination! Once the concert was over, we drove back to our camp site to find a new disaster...our camper leaked with all of the rain! Fortunately it was just in a couple of places and didn't get too many of our blankets wet! It rained all night...and I went back and forth between being completely relaxed by the rain to stressed out that it was raining inside of our camper! Despite it all, I was mostly relaxed and very happy to be home!
When we got to our car it was 37 degrees out with this rain/snow mix falling! I am pretty sure that I was a lot happier to be listening in our car than to be listening at the festival. I have never been SO cold...cold and wet through and through is a bad combination! Once the concert was over, we drove back to our camp site to find a new disaster...our camper leaked with all of the rain! Fortunately it was just in a couple of places and didn't get too many of our blankets wet! It rained all night...and I went back and forth between being completely relaxed by the rain to stressed out that it was raining inside of our camper! Despite it all, I was mostly relaxed and very happy to be home!
4 comments:
These pics are amazing! I have a few favorites! =0) Thanks for posting all of them!!!
great post!
So fun, Steph! I wish we lived close enough to camp with you!
So many great pictures but the one I like the best is the one of you and Hannah laughing; and the one of her an Jon where she has her purple heart shaped sunglasses walking. Actually I like them all. Love you MOM
Post a Comment