I have trimmed Hannah's hair once on my own, but this is her first, real, done-by-a-professional haircut. My neighbor Katy does hair and wasn't intimidated one bit to trim Hannah's for me. She cut the dead ends off and added some layers which made Hannah's curls have a little extra bounce. After the cut was finished, we decided that we could probably take a little more off so she will probably do that some time next week when she does my hair! I love having my hair person live next door because I am terrible about getting haircuts. It's really just cheapness and laziness...
When I was in college one of my roomies had short hair along with me and we made a a little code word (we were big into that when we were in college) for it being time to get a haircut. We always said that there comes a day in a short haired person's life when you look at your hair and say "that's enough! I need it cut!" Our code word for this was "TED: aka, That's Enough Day." When getting ready in the morning I might mention that TED is coming soon. For me that always meant that I should get an appointment to get my hair cut, although I rarely did! I would wait, TED would officially arrive, and I would spend however long was necessary finding a person that could cut my hair immediately or at least within 24 hours. We actually had a friend in college that did hair, so for the first few years I never had a problem getting a haircut, as she would say just come over later today, or whatever. It became a problem towards the end though! That was usually when I would let my short hair get long. Fortunately, I found a great person in Laramie, although it took a few bad hair cuts to get there, that could usually squeeze me in within a day or two. I even went back to her a couple times once we moved to Colorado Springs because I wasn't crazy about anyone here and I had heard that the "good" places could take up to a month to get an appointment! No stinking way is that going to work for me.
So when Katy moved in next door and made it known that she does hair I was thrilled! But this post is supposed to be about Hannah right?? I am just giving you all of the background information to say that I do the same thing with Hannah, although some of my reasons are different. One, yes I'll admit it I am totally cheap. I hate spending tons of money on haircuts for myself, let alone for my kid! Second, I have this crazy anxiety about taking Hannah for a haircut. She doesn't mind getting her hair done most days, but there are some days where she absolutely hates it! These days involve tears (on her end), lots of yelling (on both of our ends), and me holding her down long enough to get a brush through and a clip in. Being a bit of a pessimist, that's what I picture at a hair salon, combined with the fact that I am telling Hannah to sit down, by herself, while a stranger messes with her head. It's not a good scenario in my mind! So the beautiful thing about Katy, is that Hannah knows her (we hang out all the time) and she can just pop over when I know that Hannah's not in a bad mood, is rested, etc and get it done! And that is just what happened. Katy came over, asked Hannah if she wanted to stand on the chair, and started snipping.
I kept asking Hannah what she thought about her haircut and if she liked it. She kept looking at me like, "of course Mom, I've done this a million times!" It was great...she was happy...I was happy...and Katy didn't have any problems what-so-ever!
These are pictures of the finished product. Her little curls just bounced right up like I wanted them too. I also found that Hannah doesn't mind getting her hair brushed as much either...probably because there weren't as many knots post haircut! 

1 comment:
MY precious little granddaughter is so cute and funny. I look forward to see and hear the new things she does everyday. Her hair cut is cute and her art work is amazing. Of remember I am seeing from a grandma's point of view. Love you Jon, Stephanie and Hannah.
Post a Comment