I had never been to a Whole Foods grocery store until last weekend. I had read about these sodas that are recommended for pregnancy because they have that "special drink" feeling without the alcohol or caffeine. When I looked on their website, it appeared that the only place to buy them was either online or in a Whole Foods. I had been wanting to visit one, as my friends all rave about it. One friend swears the cake is better than anything else, another loves the fruits and veggies. I have driven past the Whole Foods in Ft. Collins a million times, and never could persuade Jon to go inside. He's very anti-organic and jokes that he "likes genetically altered foods."
I knew that this time I had him because I actually had a specific reason to go there. I also clinched the deal by volunteering to pick up some glutten-free pasta for a friend at work. So at the end of our evening in Ft. Collins, he hesitantly drove me to this mysterious store. I guess my whole interest in it was that we always drive by, and all you can really see is the produce. I was always amazed because it always looked so pretty. Definitely eye catching. That is really what I was looking forward to the most. I mean really, there's nothing better (well in a grocery store anyway) than a well stocked, well arranged produce section.
We parked near the produce doors and felt quite out of place in the parking lot. We aren't the kind of people that eat organic foods. In WY and CO, there is definitely a "look" and we don't fit it. Anyway, so we went on in through the produce section, when to my surprise, it smelled! It smelled awful! I am not sure if it was just my ultra sensitive, prego nose or what, but I was simply overwhelmed with the smell of fish. Come to find out, where the produce section ended, the fish section began. It was so gross! Jon and I walked quickly through the produce section, stopping only to gawk at the ridiculous prices. Now this is not to condemn anyone that does shop at Whole Foods or likes to buy organic, but it was just too much for me. I just refused to purchase artichokes at Albertson's the other day because the price tag was a whopping two dollars each. I nearly passed out when seeing the beautiful artichokes at Whole Foods for the low, low price of $3.99!! Call me cheap, but I just couldn't comprehend spending so much on groceries. Okay, okay, please call me cheap. I will take no offense. I am cheap, just like Jon. It's why we work so well together!
So, needless to say, we were not off to a good start. At this point, I was desperately just trying to find the precious beverage jewels that I had come in for, as Jon was getting a little ridiculous. He stopped only to draw attention to the fact that this is not possibly organic, I can get that at Wal-mart or to gawk more at the obscene price tags on sodas, chips, and Asian sauce. I have to say I did agree with him on most things, however I did feel my cheeks flush when we walked past the "Asian" section only to hear Jon say, "are you kidding me?" That was when he followed up with,
"that's not organic, that's Wal-mart." Finally we had found the isle with the sodas. Of course the ones we were looking for were hidden (not really, but they were hard to find).
We are both in a hurry at this point...Jon because he doesn't want to be seen supporting this ridiculous establishment, and myself because the fish smell was really starting to make me nauseous. We also had to purchase some pasta for my work friend, and I wasn't about to walk up and down the aisles looking for the "glutten-free" section. Fortunately, there was a God-send (although it was probably his job and he didn't mind at all) at the end of the soda aisle, who quickly walked me over to the glutten-free section. He showed me all of the choices and then left me to make my decisions. He was a very nice man, and while I did not appreciate his store at this moment, I did appreciate his help.
Alas, our shopping extravaganza was over. Four items later (3 bags of pasta, one four pack of soda) we found our way to the checkout. We didn't even make it to the bakery, but it was no loss for me at the time. While I was in line, I couldn't help but stare at the people unloading carts full of organic food...many were overflowing. I couldn't help but wonder and whisper to Jon about how much they would be spending. According to my figures, it must be at least three times what I spend on the same cart full at Wal-mart. Perhaps that is an over-exaggeration, but I am convinced that it can't be too exaggerated.
Jon took our nice recycled paper bag of goods and we proceeded to the exit. We of course got one more strong wiff of the fish department on our way out. Goodbye Whole Foods. We were never happier to be out of a store! I am sure you can guess that we probably will not be going to another Whole Foods for a while...if Jon has anything to say about it, a LONG while. I have to say that I am in agree-ance with my husband on this and would prefer to be able to save our money for any number of other things, than to waste it (in my opinion) on fru-fru groceries. I already have a hard time with the expensive price of groceries living in WY, and I don't believe I want to spend more than I already do. I guess deep down, I really am cheap and really do like "genetically altered" foods, if for no other reason than they are cheaper.
4 comments:
I hope those sodas were worth it! BTW...just wanted to let you know that Jim and I feel the same way about whole foods. We've been when we were in CO with Jim's sister and her husband, but there's no way that Jim and I could shop there because of the prices. We are way too cheap too! That...and I've tried organic things on Jim too....specifically milk. He HATED it...said that it didn't taste right. I tried to tell him that he was probably just missing the chemicals and hormones in the milk...didn't matter to him though, he said that he preferred the taste of them. Jim and John might just be two birds of a feather. Oh yeah, and I've also chase Jim around the house with soy milk once.
Sounds like they ARE two peas in a pod! I love it!
We have a Whole Foods here, but I've never been because I know it would be expensive.
I'm with you, I'm not rich enough and just don't care enough to spend extra money on fancy groceries. (No offense to those who do though.)
Summer, maybe you should go check it out...just for entertainment's sake!
Post a Comment