Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lovely Lilacs

The lilacs are blooming. The tree outside of my office window looks a lot like the one in this picture. It is truly beautiful when they bloom. They are everywhere. Also every yard in town has them, and if you don't have them in your yard, you can definitely see them from your yard. We are some of the unlucky who don't have any in our yard, but two neighbors do, so we get to enjoy them anyway. Also they are wonderfully fragrant, which is an important characteristic for flowers in my book. I was sitting in my office yesterday when it got a little stuffy. Since we don't have air conditioning, I just opened my window. A breeze drifted in, and it carried the sweet smell of lilacs. I was so excited, as my co-worker and I have been anticipating this for months now. We often give each other updates on the process of the bush outside, since our windows share it. First it was budding leaves, then the leaves were out, and finally the flower buds started to appear. When I opened my window yesterday and the smell came through, I immediately jumped out of my chair and ran next door to update Michell. The day we had been looking forward to had finally come! We have some vases in our office, so Michell and I went outside and snipped a few off to bring inside. Now my office has the wonderful smell inside!! When I walked in this morning, after the door had been shut all night, the smell just hit me and put an instant smile on my face. It just brightens my day, especially when it's rainy out like today. It's just what the doctor orders!

No comments: