I can definitely tell that school is back in session here in Laramie. Our weekend trip to Wal-mart was chaotic due to the mass amounts of students purchasing bedding, notebooks, and ramen noodles. The streets are suddenly more trafficy and it takes twice as long to get to work (a whole 4-5 min. now). Summer is Laramie is nice, mostly because it is quite and the weather is fantastic. I have to admit though that I do have a sort of fondness for the starting of school. It marks the beginning of fall which is my favorite season. The temperatures start to cool down, and life comes back to this otherwise small, boring town. While work is crazy at this time of year, I somehow still find the time to enjoy it.
Today for instance, I had to walk across campus to drop off some paperwork. It's still pretty warm, so people are everywhere. Students are socializing and buzzing around. The campus shuttle buses are busy transporting some students, while the other stops are waiting for the right one. It's great! I love the opportunity to get out of my office and stroll around campus from time to time. I was reminded today of one of my absolute favorite things about this campus. The bikes. There are bikes as far as the eye can see. People zipping by you on one or pulling up to one of the racks or simply standing in riding position while talking to their friends. I walked past the bike rack that is next to the student union today. It was packed! As many problems as there are trying to find a parking space for your car on campus, there are just as many trying to find a place to park your bike. The bike racks near the union were full, so people had just locked them up wherever there was space....a tree, the handicapped access railing, the stairs, picnic tables.
I made me smile to see all of the bikes, as it does so often. I guess it's just because it reminds me of how active people are here, or maybe it makes me feel like a kid again. I don't know, but I love it, so I just thought I would share. Maybe in the next day or two I will remember to bring my camera so that you can see the really craziness of it all!
2 comments:
no word on the move! thanks for the comments on the hair! It was time to cut it off again and, of course, I love it.
I love this tim of year -- especially being back in school myself.
Carrying around gigantic law books a nice trade off for the ability to buy school supplies (with purpose.)
I even have a new light blue, under armour back pack. It makes me feel official. ;)
Post a Comment