I work in a building that is somewhere around 100 years old. While it's been re-modeled a hundred times, there are still things about it that are frustrating. Our internet is slower than the rest of campus, one of our offices is an old bathroom (that was remodeled), the offices are awkward in sizing, and there is always construction of some sort going on.
A little event today reminded me to look on the bright side of working in such an old building. Thunderstorms. Inevitably when lighting even thinks about striking within a fifty mile radius of Laramie, the electricity goes out. Now a lot of people get frustrated with this, but I have actually learned to enjoy it. So you loose everything you were working on...So you could have to re-do some stuff...So you loose good "productive" time...at least you get a little break.
Today a little thunderstorm rolled through. The lights kind of flickered once, so I decided to go ahead and save the important stuff that I was working on. It began thundering and raining, and then of course the electricity goes out. Sweet! I wanted to watch the rain anyway! And after communing together about the fact that we had no electricity, and decided that we therefore could not work because of our dependence on computers, a couple of girls and I walked to the end of the hall and sat on the stairs. The door was open and we just sat and talked while enjoying the rain. I have to say it was delightful!
The electricity stayed off for about thirty minutes, which is actually faster than I expected because it was really coming down. The rain began to let up, the sun came out, and we went back to work for the remaining hour that we had left. It was the perfect pick me up to the usual long Monday afternoon. I just hope it rains again this evening so I can read a book and really enjoy it!
No comments:
Post a Comment