Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Good, Good End--my inspiration

I know that you know by now that Waterdeep is my favorite band. It's so much more than just liking the way they sound. I actually do admire them and the way they reach people for the gospel. I want to explain why I admire them so much.

I like to judge a band, singer, or song by the level of inspiration that it gives me. Lyrics are most important to me. I have always loved the lyrics to Waterdeep songs. They say so much sometimes. They also speak about real things, real lives, and real experiences. I think some people could say that their songs are a bit depressing at times, because they don't all have happy endings, at least not here on earth. They talk a lot about the eternal because ultimately isn't that what is going to last?

Well anyway, so I have been inspired once again by one of the songs on their new album.

"Good, Good End"

You can leave right now
You can ring a bell
You can tell ‘em you think I ain’t doin’ too well
But when I stood like you I eventually fell
So you can leave right now
Go on and ring your bell

I’m amazed by life
And it’s amazed by me
We’re a strange old pair- me and eternity
It don’t make good sense
It ain’t easy to see
But I’m amazed by life
And it’s amazed by me

It’s a long hard road
With a good, good end
And if I keep on walking on past the crooked bend
I will meet my Maker
I will meet my Friend
It’s a long hard road
With a good, good end

I just love the line, "it's a long hard road, with a good, good end." It just talks about how sometimes life is hard, people judge you for your decisions or mistakes, but if we just keep walking through it with Him, we will meet our Savior. I think that in their lives they have probably been judged a lot. I mean, keep in mind that several of their CDs were recorded in bars and their concerts are there too. I know that a lot of people wouldn't "approve" of this, but I believe that is how they reach people...and they are able to reach people who would not be reached otherwise. Yet, they do it all to get to the good, good end.

Living here, in a very lost place, I have definitely found this to be true, so I guess it causes me to respect them as brothers and sisters that much more. Plus it is just an encouragement because it reminds me that we are making a difference, even though it is hard and the opportunities seem scarce. We are able to reflect Christ in front of people who have been burned by tradition and legalism. It is long and hard a lot of the time, but it is all for the glory of our Lord. The rewards may never be seen on earth, but the reward is great in the end, and that's why we aspire to walk the long, hard road. That's why we have friends serving all over the world. That's why we support them. That's why every Christian should aspire to do the same.

No comments: